Thursday, April 23, 2009

Boone...Home Away from Home


There is no place like home...or at least a second home. Going to school at Appalachian State was more than just a college experience for me, it was a life experience. I loved everything about the environment, the people and the way of life. For me I could not have picked a better place to spend my collegiate experience. I was also fortunate enough to work a few years for the University after I graduated, which allowed me to also really embrace the "mountain spirit." My parents fell in love with the area as well, so much so that they built a little cabin in the woods that allows all of us to come back and visit every once in awhile.

This weekend I am heading up ole 421 for the first time in 4 1/2 months. Folks, that is the longest this girl has be away from the mountains. My heart aches I miss it so much. I look forward to seeing the parkway, my Alma mater, tasting a little BYB, walking down King St. and even spend a little time in the tourist trap known as Blowing Rock. One thing I know for sure....I cannot let this happen again. Boone provides a therapy for me that no medicine on the market can.....peace.

Perhaps somewhere down the road I will be fortunate enough to have my silver years in the mountains. I can only hope. In the meantime, I will enjoy these upcoming weekends gloriously and never take them for granted.

JAR

No comments:

Post a Comment