Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Music cures all


I honestly cannot remember a time in my life that I have not had musical influence. Even as a small child I have memories of dancing and singing around the house. I used to love to put my Whitney Houston cassette in and try to sing every line with her. Of course...she probably was a little more in tune than me, but I held my own. Ha.

My parents were huge advocates for all of my siblings and I to learn to play the piano. We each took lessons for 10 years. At the time I used to hate to practice every day...but I always enjoyed the peace I felt when I touched the keys. Over the years I have not had the opportunity to play as much...but when I do, I usually get lost in the melodies.

I have found that many times in my life I have looked to music to "cure" what ails me at that time. Many songs have spoken to me during bad breakups, deaths, job stresses and just plain old bad mood days. There is something to be said about the power of a song and words that can bring you back from a dark place. Not to mention the good mood the music usually puts you in. Josh always teases me because I am constantly singing. I sing in the kitchen, shower and my best performances are always in the car. I pity the poor soul who pulls up next to me when I am in my car and I am in full throttle belting with Lady Antebellum. What a site to see.

Perhaps when I grow up.... I might give this singing career a shot. In the meantime I will continue to sing to anyone willing to listen (poor Winston....he takes the brunt of my performances) and dream of being the next American Idol.

JAR

PS. I have had a lot of stress at work lately and the song that seems to resonate the most with me now is 'Strip Me' by Natasha Bedingfield. Here are the lyrics:

Everyday I fight for All my future somethings A thousand little awards I have to choose between I could spend a lifetime Earning things I don’t need That’s like chasing rainbows And coming home empty And if you strip me, Strip it all away If you strip me, What would you find If you strip me, Strip it all away Ill be alright Take what you want Steal my pride Build me up Or cut me down to size Shut me out But I’ll just scream I'm only one voice in a million But you ain't taking that from me Oh oh no you ain't taking that from me. I don't need a microphone To say what I been thinking My heart is like a loudspeaker That's always on eleven And if you strip me, Strip it all away

No comments:

Post a Comment