Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Golfer's Special


Last week I had the pleasure of spending a long weekend at Myrtle Beach with Josh and his parent's. I like to call it my "trial run" for the week that is scheduled in July with the WHOLE family. Smile. I have to admit....I was a little nervous about spending four days with just the parents. But after just the first 5 minutes in the door of the condo.....I knew it was going to be a great time.
I can easily see where Josh gets most of his traits from while spending time with Pam and Bil (Josh's parents).

Bil is very easy going and loves to crack a wise remark when he can. But ever so the gentlemen, he is always making sure that everyone is taking care of. Very sweet. I thoroughly enjoyed our political conversations and how much better the world would be if he and I could just run it! Move over Obama! Ha! I have to admit....I am already missing our late nights in front of the TV watching the Fox channel (minus me snoring on the couch!) But of course...Bil also has other great talents too...so don't be fooled. I discovered that he can make a mean margarita, he's been known to crank out a few unique dance moves to "Brickhouse" and he also loves to stroll the beach for seashells (or at least that's what he told me he was doing on those long walks....smile).


Now, Josh's Mom is by far the glue in the family (don't tell Bil that or I won't get invited back!). She always made sure I was comfortable, well fed and well attended to (by her, Bil or Josh). You can't beat that service. Maybe I should start asking for that from my own family. Yeah right....who I am kidding! Pam was great to be around because she was always smiling and she is one of those individuals in life that just make you feel good. If she was not smocking for the next baby's outfit....you could catch her reading, napping on the beach...or talking to her sweet Jordan. I loved my time with Pam when Josh was not around. It allowed for us to talk about girl stuff and to really get to know each other. I loved those moments!

I have some fun memories of the weekend, but by far my two favorite are centered around food (shocker to anyone that knows me!). Two out of three mornings Josh and I were there, we ate breakfast at a local favorite, Akels. It has been around since 1975. Simple breakfast food, inexpensive and great service.


Well. I have to tell you on the first morning we ate at Akels, I was really hungry....REALLY hungry. So when I was looking at the menu, one of the specials caught my eye, 'The Golfer's Special'. Not that bad....three pancakes, three eggs and two sausage links. Well....clearly my eyes were bigger than my tummy! I could not finish the meal. But I NEVER heard the end of it from Bil for the rest of the vacation! That's ok...I will redeem myself in July! Ha!

My second favorite spot had to be Painter's Homemade Ice Cream. I made it clear very early on that I LOVE ice cream....so on our last night in town....we drove to one of the oldest homemade ice cream spots on the strip. Let me tell you....it was GOOOOOOD. I think when I go back in July, I made need to go a couple of times to test a few more flavors! Yum.

Overall the trip was great and for a girl trying to work her way into a super family....I feel privileged to have just had the opportunity to get some QT with Josh, Bil and Pam! Looking forward to Camp 52 in July and all that comes with it! Yikes?

JAR



p.s. Some information on the restaurants I mentioned above!

Akel's Family Restaurant
6429 N Kings HwyMyrtle Beach, SC 29572-3008
(843) 449-4815‎


Painters Homemade Ice Cream
2408 Highway 17 SNorth Myrtle Bch, SC 29582-4344
(843) 272-6934‎

1 comment: