Monday, July 6, 2009

June 29, 1974

"We are told that people stay in love because of chemistry, or because they remain intrigued with each other, because of many kindnesses, because of luck. But part of it has got to be forgiveness and gratefulness." - Ellen Goodman

So, I don't know where you were on Saturday, June 29, 1974.....but I was just a mere twinkle in someone's eye for the future. My parents on the other hand were bracing themselves for a life altering decision....MARRIAGE!

Picture the setting: It was mid-afternoon in Salisbury, North Carolina and family and friends were gathering at my mother's home church, Sacred Heart Catholic Church. (http://www.salisburycatholic.org/). Relatives from New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia....you name it....came together to celebrate this special gathering. Oh...and don't forget all of the cousins and second cousins...plenty of those to go around. My Aunt Laura (my Dad's only sister) was not able to attend because she had just given birth to my cousin Anna Marie. However, my Grandfather Kirk (Pop-pop) was able to walk my mother down the aisle which was a great joy considering how sick he had been for the last couple of months.

So as my Dad was making the final touches on his lime green tuxedo I can only imagine what was running through his mind. At the time he was 23 years old (about to turn 24 in September) and we marrying a young, beautiful redhead from the south. Fresh out of college and well into his first hear at Price Waterhouse, I am sure the world seemed huge and bountiful to him. Life seemed easy perhaps and the years to come probably did not phase him at all (well....not that much at least).


My mother was preparing too with all of her maids in waiting. I probably should mention that this was no small wedding. With seven siblings on my mother's side, you can imagine how large the bridal party was. My mother was gorgeous though and if I could have been a fly on the wall, I would have imagined her to be very calm and patient....as she is now. I know she was very much in love with my father and even went to great lengths to be with him when the timing was not always the best. In my thoughts I imagine her that day in her handmade dress slowly walking toward the main doors of the church with my grandfather waiting to walk down the aisle to greet my father. What was she thinking? Did she share the same optimism as my father did? Did she see the world as wide open as he did?

For years as a child I always had the dream of being at my parent's wedding. I always secretly wanted to be the flower girl....but I guess that would not have worked out well...logistically of course! I sometimes think that my sister and her husband Michael share a courtship and wedding story similar to my parents'. I guess that is why I smile so much when I look at the two of them and see their wedding pictures side by side.

Last week my parents celebrated their 35th wedding anniversary. To many in my world, this seems daunting. So many of my friends our products of divorced families and unfortunately....many themselves have been divorced. I relish in the fact that I can say my parents are still together after 35 years.

I am not naive to think that their journey has not been hard, frustrating and at times to the point of utter angst. But unlike most couples today, I believe my parents have carried something with them from since the day they were married. I think they both still see a part of the world as "theirs" and wide open. I see them look at each other sometimes the way that I can only imagine the way they did on that Saturday afternoon in front of all of their friends and family. I believe that they know working together through the good and the bad and the tool of forgiveness is key for survival. I envy that kind of love and that kind of relationship. I can only hope that I replicate some of that in a marriage one day. One can only be so fortunate.

Love to you Mom and Dad!


Jenny

1 comment: