Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Change

Nothing in the world is permanent, and we're foolish when we ask anything to last, but surely we're still more foolish not to take delight in it while we have it. If change is of the essence of existence one would have thought it only sensible to make it the premise of our philosophy.- W. Somerset Maugham



It's hard to believe that two years (this May) has already past since our family took our big trip across the big ocean. Mom emailed us all last week each day with memories from her journal. It was fun to reminisce about all of our fun adventures and think back to how quickly time flies. It was only yesterday that we boarded that long flight and took off for an 11 day whirlwind adventure to our home country Italy. Who would have thought we would have 1.) survived and 2.) had the pictures to prove we had the times of our lives. I can't help but smile when I think of our little inside jokes and stories that no one else will ever understand but the six of us. In a sense that was the last family trip we took before we our family started to grow and change forever!



While in Italy we had the chance to have a lot of "together time" while riding on the train and walking in the villages...so it was neat to catch up and really talk to each other. It was the first time in a long time that we had no real distractions and I rediscovered by siblings and parents. It was a real gift. I knew deep down that they truly had not changed and would never change at the heart of things....but that they would grow and move on in their lives. So for me, the trip was an opportunity to pause and appreciate each of them before they started their next journey's in life. At the time I probably did not appreciate the gift that had been given to me.....but I certainly appreciate it now. And for all those Italian meals where we sat around and talked and laughed....as the commercial says....priceless.


It's amazing to think in just two short years how much has already changed in our family. At the time of the trip, Joe and Kerry were not even engaged and now they are married. Lynn and Michael were just in the early stages of dating and now they are married. Mike had just graduated from ASU and was starting the MAP program at B of A and now he is a full-time associate. And me...well, I was hanging my hat up the School of the Arts and starting my job at the Broyhill Group. Now I am at Elon, I have my little guy Winston and I am dating a fabulous guy. Time flies and with a blink of an eye the world changes around us.

I am not so much worried anymore about changing....because I know it is the only thing that does occur for sure. I guess at times I just wish I could slow the pace down. However I do look forward to the times ahead and all the wonderful changes and transitions that our family will experience!


JAR

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post! Boy do I miss those times. What an unbelievable trip. I enjoyed every second of it. Thanks for bringing back those great memories :) You are such a sweet and talented writer!

    ReplyDelete