Friday, September 11, 2009

Mountaineer Football Season is BACK


"Today I give my all to Appalachian"

Like the other 95,000 ASU alumni around the country, I have been waiting the last 10 months to see the mountaineer football team take the field. Ending last season with a lost to Richmond (the eventual National Champions) was bitter. After having ended the previous three seasons with a National Championship ourselves....going home a loser was no fun. Plus the anticipation of what this season would bring was even more agonizing. Sure, we have Armanti Edwards for another year; yes, we have a sparkling new facility and we have enough enthusiastic tailgaters to fill five stadiums. But will it be enough?

Will it be enough to carry us to Chattanooga? For those of you who don't know, Chattanooga is the host city for the Division I National Championship Game. The date is December 18th. I have every intention of being there....so much so that my hotel room is already booked and the work day is already been granted off. One small caveat....will my football team be there?

If last week's game against East Carolina is any indicator, we have our work cut out for us. The game itself was not a factor....we don't need it for playoff contention. If anything it was merely a "bragging" rights type of game. The only thing I hate about losing those types of games is the lip you get from instate fans. Uggh. Nevertheless......the game showed that we have a lot of work ahead of us. We had a poor first half and a tremendous second. Unfortunately....in the long run you can't win football games that way. This is a trend I saw a lot of last year....and my fear is that it is creeping it's way back into this season as well. Consistency has GOT to find it's way into the program. Fast.

So if Armanti can find his groove and can stay healthy (and not by mowing the grass I might add)...and if others mature into their positions, then maybe I just might be given an early Christmas present after all.

Go Apps!

JAR

No comments:

Post a Comment