Thursday, September 3, 2009

Professor Jenny?


“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”- William Arthur Ward

Yes it has been awhile since I have blogged....but for good reason. The world around me has been a little hectic. My work environment has officially begun it's open season (aka: the academic year is upon us). This past Friday I welcomed nearly 13oo freshmen to Elon University. Although I don't recruit for the undergraduate program directly, they directly effect all of our jobs indirectly if we don't fill the seats. My colleagues were a great support of me last month when my new group of Interactive Media and Law students arrived so it was only necessary and right to return the favor. We are all in this together!

This year will be unique for me though. I will for the first time, be teaching a class. I am teaching a Freshmen transition course entitled "Elon 101". I have 15 students for the entire semester that I will meet with every Tuesday for one hour. They have been given a detailed syllabus by me that includes topics ranging from time/stress management to having a full orientation of the library. Each week provides topics and areas that will help ease any anxieties that typically most encounter in the first semester. On top of teaching the class, I will also serve as the students' academic advisor. We will work together to design a schedule that fits their desired intentions for a major and help augment their independence into college life.

I have already had a great experience with this class. I have a great TA who has made the teaching transition a smooth one for me. I love my students and they seem (so far) to be receptive to my dorky personality. I try to go back to all of the feelings and concerns that I had 14 years ago and apply that to what they could be feeling as well. I keep the class light, open and most of all honest. I want them to always feel that my class is the one place they can go to ask anything and feel comfortable asking it.

As the semester moves on...I will keep you posted on my students and my progress as an Instructor. I have so much to learn.

JAR

p.s. Want to know how old you are and how young the class of 2013 is? Check out the Beloit College Mindset List. This is sent out every year to let us see what the class that is currently enrolling has been exposed to since their birth. Scary.



2 comments:

  1. Cool Mindset List thing! You were born to be a teacher. Don't you remember those days you played school with me when we were little? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great Jen. You will be an awsome teacher. Such a wonderful experience for you. Margie Sides

    ReplyDelete