Friday, September 18, 2009

A whole a lot of compromise

"In a relationship, when does the art of compromise become compromising?" - Sarah Jessica Parker




Well folks. It is hard to believe, but Josh and I celebrated our 6 month anniversary last week. And for those of you who have been following us on our journey.....it seems hard to believe that time has passed so quickly. We have had a great time these past few months and we have done more in this short period of time then most probably do in years of dating. Amazing.

However. As in every relationship....there comes a point where you hit a crossroads and we have hit ours. Some people stumble upon religion, some become heated on money or family. Ours ......COLLEGE FOOTBALL! Yep. Never in my right mind would I think that I would wait 32 (almost 33) years of my life for the man of my dreams to have "the talk" over our future over football. OK, now maybe I am maybe overreacting a little bit, but you get my point.

Here is the gist of the story. Josh is a die hard NC State fan. I am a die hard ASU fan. We are both season ticket holders. Not a huge deal....we are working through both schedules OK this season. I am trying to make it to some of his games as he is mine. The caveat? I am not a NC State fan. I am a Carolina fan. I BLEED Carolina blue. Problem. Huge problem.

So when I tried to explain this to Josh...he didn't see the issue. I tried to make him see that it was like going against the enemy (more like my whole family). I just could not do it. What made it worst was when I went to Raleigh one weekend and he surprised me by buying an ASU hat to show how he was committed to "compromising". Dang it. Now I really had to go all out. There was no way I could where red. I don't even own anything red in my wardrobe. I was devastated.

So the week of the first NC State home game I called my mother in near tears with panic. What do I do? How do I cope? She said, in the most motherly way she does, "Just tell people you had two uncles who went there." And.... "the UNC basketball team is better then State's....but the football team is probably better than UNC's." Yep. That did it.

And when I went to buy a t-shirt that night....I kept the receipt just in case. Compromise.

JAR

1 comment: