Thursday, March 19, 2009

Old Friends and Stars

"Good friends are like stars.....you don't always see them, but you know they are always there"-Anonymous

Julie and I met when I was 15 (the summer before my sophomore year in high school). I thought she was the funniest person I had ever met. I should have known then that she was going to be around for a long, long time. Since that day Julie and I have had some fun times. We have shared a lot of peppermint patties over the not so great times and as we got older a beer (or 10) when we really wanted to have some good times!

In the past few years as we both have gotten older our lives have become more hectic. Julie got married and started a successful career as a real estate agent and moved to Charlotte. I went my way and well...by now...you know my story. Smile. But as most friendships do, they change. I realized a year or two ago that my relationship with Julie was never going to be the same because there was someone else in her life that was more important than my latest dating disaster or wardrobe meltdown. And somehow....I let that paralyze me and the friendship for a moment in time. I even wondered if we would ever have the type of relationship that I loved so much.

It was not until yesterday that I had an urge to pick up the phone and call Julie did I realize that a lot of my "fears" were all in my head and my "perceptions" were just that. You see...true friends never really go away. The relationships may take a different shape or form, but the dynamics never change. After only minutes on the phone with Jules....it felt like old times. We were both laughing and chatting as if time had not even passed us by and it was then that I felt so bad for having all of those silly feelings. However I think that I probably needed to have them just to appreciate her more.

So next week, Jules (aka FRED as so many called her in HS) and I are having lunch and catching up. Of course she wants to know more about mystery man....but mostly we just want to have some quality Jen and Jules time. Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment